Saturday, October 11, 2008

comics and the tarot

So, it became apparent to me, after reading and making comics for awhile and helping create a collectively produced and radically politicked tarot deck (The Collective Tarot: a Magical Collaboration)--that comics invite synchronicity, encourage serendipity, and are intrinsically connected to other forms of symbology throughout the ages. In fact, I think comics are magic. I believe comics and other sequential (and non-sequential) arts have their own divinatory qualities. I believe this magic comes from the system of symbols, words and imagery used in comics and their opportunity to combine in ways that engage both the right brain and the left brain, allowing our minds to absorb information and patterns on multiple levels while experiencing (reading and creating) comics as a unique meta-language. Images have been used to convey deep levels of meaning for thousands of years. If you don't think I'm crazy, please feel free to share your thoughts and read future posts. Otherwise I'm afraid I don't have time for you.

1 comment:

Julie said...

HI, MY CLASSMATE CAME TO CLASS WITH THIS TAROT DECK! THE CARDS ARE SO COOL AND BEAUTIFUL! I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE SOME AS GIFTS. WHERE CAN I GET THEM?